Tuesday, October 14

A Way to Go through Life

Over the past week I tried the delicious Pumpkin Ale from Smuttynose, Post Road, and Southern Tier with real pumpkin puree in them.  Love them.  One night enjoyed Smashed Pumpkin by Shipyard for a dessert beer.  The Pumpkinhead needs some work compared to the others.
Not fat, drunk, and stupid (paraphrased quote from the movie, Animal House).

We planned our tenth anniversary months in advance.  But with Bud's health concerns (cancer) we changed our minds on a long trip to either Marfa, Terlingua, Lajitas, Big Bend State Park, or Burnet, and stayed close to Houston.  Bud is in great spirits and very active for a 13+ year old dog with or without cancer or blind, so we could have gone on a trip with the dogs.  

We really enjoyed the Houstonian Hotel and loved the hospitality and extras in the room and on the grounds.  We plan on returning.  We didn't have to drive hours away to feel like we got away.  We drove through Memorial Park to begin the feel of heading into paradise.  No dogs allowed here though.  Keeping them at home for the night was so easy. 

As we entered the lobby, the hotel felt like a large mountain lodge with high ceiling, a huge fireplace, leather chairs, dark wood, and beautiful antique decor.

Bud and Whitley do not understand that tonight.  Pet Sitter Who? 
 Notice their confused faces looking at the stranger.  Where is our family?
Celebrated with the dogs the night before we left for our trip to the Houstonian Hotel.
Bud looks good and is active for a 13 year old with liposarcoma (turmeric seems to be reducing inflammation).
Our deluxe room at Houstonian Hotel and Spa, Houston, Texas (just for two).
Fourth Floor among the canopy of the beautiful forest
Bathroom at the Houstonian Hotel and Spa (Fourth Floor)
I aim for the lithe, sober, and wise path in life.  Looking back over a decade or two, I compare myself today to the girl back then.  Do I recognized this one in the mirror?

Married for a decade, how much have I changed?  A dangerous question for one to ask a mate, but I love honesty (tactful but honest).

With an abstemious diet, I maintain my same shape from fifteen years ago.  I try not to over indulge when eating and drinking. My body just cannot take it.  How many glasses of wine did I drink, 3-4-5?  Well the last one, champagne in our room did me in.  I was fine up until then.  I could then feel the Earth spin and gravity pull.  The pasta dish with spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes in a white wine sauce (no cheese) at dinner had too much salt.  So three hours later, I was very uncomfortable.  I had tried so hard to do right.  But I failed.

Enjoyed the Concierge Floor's dessert hour before bedtime with drinks and loved the brie cheese, crackers, fresh fruit, and wines before we left for dinner.  If you do not get an upgrade, then the extras on the Concierge floor are worth the extra price for the night (includes fruit and pastries the next morning). 

The Macaroon was so light and airy with a delightful crunch as I bit down into the macaroon.  Try her recipe if you click the macaroon link above.

On Saturday the weather was warm, and slightly raining with a wedding planned on the grounds of the Manor House (former residence of 41st President, George H. W. Bush and Barbara Bush).  But no fear our room came equipped with a large green umbrella, flash light, water, (wine and snacks in frig if necessary), and two thick long terrycloth robes.

My ambitions of going through a full workout schedule was thwarted by the pain in my joints, back, and head from my salt allergy (intolerance).  They had a 1 mile trail through the 18 acre forested lot, countless exercise and yoga class, weights, pools, courts, sauna (that melted my plastic water cup), steam room, climbing wall, and more food.  Plus the Trellis Spa if you booked early.  Oh well, it could have been a lot worse!
---
What drives a man in his decisions to jump onto a boat and sail away forever or for an experience.  So many times I hear of men getting a divorce, and out of sadness and joy buy a boat, learn to sail, and take off seeking peace in the head and adventure for the spirit.  Other times I hear a man's story of a death in their family (sibling, child, or a parent) that brings light to our own mortality and how alone we are.  Some men feel the reconnection with a now deceased father who loved to sail, and the son feels that connection and presence of his father by being on his boat.

One story, that I know of, was a father of three young boys whose youngest brother died.  He was unable to fully grieve his brother's passing so he took some classes on sailing, bought a sailboat, sold most everything that they owned, took the boys out of school, and moved his wife and the boys onto a sailboat to sail the Caribbean Sea.  What a wonderful, memorable journey for the boys being next to their father and teacher everyday.  He did what his youngest brother could not do with his own children, leaving those children fatherless who ended up living life in their own imagination.

Now that rush for attaching yourself to something familiar can have its drawbacks.  He came complacent with their wants and desires since he was around them every second, and caused the boys to learn to detach themselves to other love ones needs.

Not everyone finds a new direction because of something dramatic like death, divorce, or desertion.  For me it was a simple as a laugh, a laugh so hard that my cheeks and stomach hurt, and my desire to find more of that in my life.  Two dogs are my endless comics, and a husband that keeps me in stitches.  Life is too short.  I seek to enjoy great pleasures and adventures for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment